Local adverts (1930)
One of the small guide books of Sudbury which came into the Sudbury Ephemera Archive in the very first months of its existence has some interesting adverts of businesses in the town during the first half of the twentieth century but post World War 1.
These adverts show how much the people of Sudbury could purchase locally and not have to rely on travelling to larger towns like Bury St Edmunds, Ipswich or Colchester. Most people would have had to rely on public transport at this time; travel would have been slower than it is today. There would have been no question of two or more cars owned by one family.
The adverts often show an address for the shop or business. The adverts are plain but get the message across clearly about what is sold at these establishments.
Adverts like these also give the impression of what goods are currently in demand in local society and as fashion and technology change so do the commercial enterprises of the town.
Previous Featured Acquisitions
The Sudbury Parish Recorder (Featured Acquisition July 2017)
The Sudbury Borough Surveyor (Featured Acquisition June 2017)
Elections (Featured Acquisition May 2017)
Trinity Congregational Chapel – Spite Chapel (Featured Acquisition March 2017)
Property Deeds (Featured Acquisition February 2017)
Town Events (Featured Acquisition January 2017
Clubs and Societies (Featured Acquisition December 2016)
Sudbury Grammar School (Featured Acquisition November 2016)
Retail (Featured Acquisition October 2016)
Fire! fire! (Featured Acquisition September 2016)
Carnivals, Regattas and Fetes (Featured Acquisition August 2016)
Autograph books from the Belle Vue Red Cross Hospital Sudbury (Featured Acquisition July 2016)
What can we find out from a receipt? (Featured Acquisition June 2016)
The indenture of Henry Brackett, 6th July 1844 (Featured Acquisition May 2016)
Nuisance Books or Inspectors’ Journals (Featured Acquisition April 2016)
For more details of all the items we hold, see our Ephemera Catalogue.